As a partner and head of forensic and investigation services at Grant Thornton Ireland, Paul is a specialist forensic accountant with almost 20 years’ experience involving complex commercial litigation and investigations. He works predominantly in Ireland, but has shared his experience with member firms worldwide.
In addition to his role as global leader for Forensic and Investigation Services, Paul heads a multi-disciplinary team of 14 full-time forensic, electronic discovery and forensic IT specialists.
He heads a multi-disciplinary team of 14 full-time forensic, electronic discovery and forensic IT specialists.
- Acted for plaintiffs and defendants in more than 500 commercial and personal disputes, acting as testifying expert witness in more than 350 of these cases in Ireland and abroad
- Significant asset tracing expertise - more than 100 assignments for Irish, UK banks and regulatory authorities
He specialises in formulating and investigating claims, and unravelling sophisticated frauds. Paul has a proven approach to challenge and critique evidence from various angles and provides innovative solutions to difficult problems.
He has also been involved with civil litigation in the High Courts of Ireland and England, arbitration proceedings in Ireland, Holland and Canada, civil proceedings before the European Court of Human Rights, and criminal proceedings in Spain. He is conversant with alternative dispute resolution; principally mediation, but also conciliation.
- Fellow of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants
- Chartered Accountant of the New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Admitted to High Court of New Zealand as barrister and solicitor (non-practising)
- Practising associate of the Academy of Experts
- Bachelor of Commerce (Canterbury University, New Zealand)
- Bachelor of Laws (Canterbury University, New Zealand)